Wedding Ceremony Order of Service
Many couples married on the island have used this as a guideline for the typical order of events for a Traditional Wedding Ceremony. You should feel free to add, drop, or alter the sequence of these events to suit your individual wedding ceremony. What you do need to keep are three key elements of the ceremony required by Ohio Law: The Charge to the Couple, the Exchange of Vows and the Exchange of Rings. When we meet with couples to plan their wedding, we discuss the many options available to them.
Each couple completes a short questionnaire and uses the many samples we provide to create their own custom Wedding Ceremony. We have samples of different types of ceremonies, including Traditional, Civil, Religious, Romantic, Vow Renewal and Union or Commitment ceremonies.
We have also broken down the different aspects of the ceremony, such as the Opening, Exchange of Vows, Exchange of Rings, Blessing, Closing, etc. and we have provided a variety of sample Readings and suggested Music as well as samples of Vows and Blessings.
A simple Civil Ceremony would not involve all of these aspects of a Traditional Wedding. A Civil Ceremony is generally short and to the point. Click on Civil Ceremony
for examples of the service.
In the Traditional Wedding Ceremony, this would be the Order of Service:
- Ushers seat the guests (Prelude music playing)
- The Special Music begins.
- Mothers/Parents/VIPs enter and light candelabras.
- Parents of the Bride and Groom are seated with the Bride's Mother being seated last.
- The Officiant and Groom enter and proceed to the front.
- The Bridal party enters and proceeds to the front.
- The Ring Bearer and/or Flower Girl enter, proceed to front, sit down.
- Music concludes for the Bridal Party.
- Ushers unroll the aisle runner.
- The audience is asked to rise and welcome the Bride.
- Music begins for the Bride’s entrance (Processional music)
- The Bride and her escort enter and are met by the Groom.
- Bride’s music concludes.
- Opening commentary.
- Bride and Groom light "family candles" to represent their families.
- Bride and Groom present flowers to parents.
- "Declarations Of Intent" by Bride and Groom.
- First Reading (religious or romantic literature).
- Musical interlude (solo, etc.).
- Second Reading.
- Special Music (musical interlude, or musical and vocal performance)
- Exchange of Wedding Vows (Traditional or customized)
- Blessing of the Rings.
- Exchange of Wedding Rings (Traditional or customized)
- Audience recites Lord's Prayer (Roman Catholic or Protestant version).
- Officiant's Prayer of Blessing for the Bride and Groom.
- Bride and Groom light Unity Candle (music in background).
- Final commentary.
- Bride and Groom kiss.
- Introduction of the new couple by the Officiant's.
- Recessional music begins.
- Bride and Groom exit.
- Bridal party exits and forms reception line.
- Officiant's instructions to the audience.